Monday, December 8, 2008

Reflective Letter Rough Draft 1

Well this has certainly been and interesting and eye-opening year for me. It’s been difficult and there have been a lot of challenges. That sad thing is I don’t think I’ve adequately fulfilled many of the challenges. I had lots of trouble with procrastination. I would get distracted and not focus on what I should’ve been doing. And a constant habit was waiting until the last minute to do the assigned work. This produced continual failings that showed me that this class was not intended to be a cakewalk. In other words, you’ve actually got to work for the grade. And if you don’t work, you certainly don’t get the grade.
Much of the procrastination was caused by plain laziness. But laziness wasn’t necessarily the only factor that contributed to my bad habit. Not to sound like a soft chump or anything, but I was also dealing with intense emotional problems and minor health problems. I also had difficulty with the They Say, I Say textbook. It wasn’t too hard to understand the concepts in the book, but it was just difficult to apply them in my writing. Not only did you have to write well-thought-out and relevant content, but you also had to fit and format the content into these templates. At first, I hated it. But the more I practiced using the templates, the easier it became.
Overall, I’m disappointed in my work and performance. As I’ve wholeheartedly learned, procrastination really doesn’t do any good for you. It decreases your focus, stresses you out, and ultimately produces bad results. And, unfortunately, this fact has been made evident by the work that I’ve turned in throughout this quarter. For example, my first essay had the potential to be great. But my own procrastination caused it to be a weak paper that got a low grade. I waited to the last minute, so I wasn’t able to have a fully developed/supported thesis. The entire paper was a bit underdeveloped and unorganized.

1 comment:

evan said...

I like how personal it is

It need to be longer and you need to talk about the work you're including in the portfolio, remember this should be and intro for the portfolio

Talk about your strengths, its a little pessimistic

good start, but you've got some work to do